Starts in 4 Hours, 23 Minutes
May 22, 2019 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Mindful Therapies Centre
Lower Ground Floor, British India House, 15 Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6UF
Twice weekly meditation classes in Newcastle city centre.
Mindful Space meditation classes are aimed at people experiencing mental health difficulties. Please note that this is not a substitute for professional mental health support. Contact Rachel on 07583553949 if you have any concerns.
Mindful Space Information
Donation based meditation and discussion group
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a practice that involves developing awareness in the present moment. It involves developing skills in focus and concentration. When we practice mindfulness it includes awareness of the senses, emotions, thoughts and other people and is practiced with kindness, curiosity and non-judgement.
‘Mindfulness is deliberately paying attention to our moment-by moment experience, with an attitude of friendliness and curiosity.’
Mason-John and Groves, 2014
‘Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way;
On purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.’
‘‘Mindfulness is a state of awareness that enables us to make better choices about how we respond to our experiences even in difficult circumstances.’
The Purpose of the Mindful Space Class
This class has several functions:
- To provide the opportunity for participants to practice meditation
- To provide the opportunity for participants to learn more about mindfulness
- To provide a supportive atmosphere for participants to discuss their mindfulness practice
- To provide a space to facilitate making positive changes
- To provide the tools to assist with managing stress and / or pain
The class is not:
- A relaxation class. If you feel that you are likely to fall asleep during a meditation, please discuss this with the facilitator who can give some suggestions about posture.
- A social group. While it is great to form friendships within the group, the purpose of the Mindful Space is not to just have a chat! We try to bring a mindfulness and wellbeing focus to all discussions where possible.
- The Mindful Space class is facilitated by one of the Mindful Therapies team.
- The facilitator has extensive experience of mindfulness and has received training from Mindful Therapies.
- The facilitator is there to support the group and help you to develop your experience and understanding of mindfulness.
- We ask that you treat the class facilitator with respect. The facilitator may offer advice about your mindfulness practice or posture. While any advice is just a suggestion, please remember that any advice given is intended to support you and your practice.
Confidentiality and Safety
- We ask that you keep all discussions at the Mindful Space confidential.
- However, if we are concerned that somebody is in danger of harm or if an unreported crime is disclosed then we will be unable to maintain this confidentiality.
- If you are concerned about the wellbeing of another participant, due to the severity of something they have disclosed, please speak to the class facilitator.
- If you do not wish to speak then this is absolutely fine.
- Please be aware of the impact that your language may have on others. Some people may be offended by swearing. Please avoid excessive use of such language.
- Please avoid interrupting members of the group, particularly as they are ‘reporting in’.
- Please avoid offering advice. This can be unwelcome for many people and can feel intrusive. If you can relate to the experience of a group member then feel free to offer your own experience if it feels appropriate. However, it is important for people to find their own answers rather than to rely on the advice of others.
- It is important to maintain as quiet an environment as possible during meditation.
- If you need to leave the room, for instance to use the toilet, please can you avoid doing so during the meditation as this can be disturbing for participants.
- Please be aware of other people meditating and avoid excessive moving around, or snoring during meditation!
- The Mindful Space class begins at 2:30pm. Please aim to arrive on time.
- If you arrive late please do not enter during a meditation as this will disturb the group. Please wait for a suitable time to enter the room such as during discussion.
- Please switch your mobile phone off or onto silent during the class, including the tea break.
- If you need to take a call please leave the room so as not to disturb the group.
- Developing generosity is an important aspect of mindfulness.
- It costs £45 per week to run Mindful Space classes.
- The Mindful Space class is run on a donation basis and relies on these donations in order to continue.
- If you are unable to make a donation then this is fine but if you are able to contribute please consider doing so. We suggest a minimum donation of £2 per session.
- If you are unable to make a financial contribution then remember that there are other ways to be generous – from helping to wash the cups to offering a smile and a welcome to a new participant.
- If you have a complaint about the running of the group please speak to the class facilitator in the first instance.
- Alternatively you can make a complaint in writing by emailing email@example.com