October 21, 2015 1:15 pm - 2:00 pm
Mindful Therapies Centre
Body Scan Mindfulness Meditation – A body awareness meditation open to all levels of experience.
Body scan Meditation class in Newcastle city centre every Wednesday 1:15-2pm
Donation based class, suggested donation: £2 -£5
What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness is a practice that involves developing awareness in the present moment. It involves developing skills in focus and concentration. When we practice mindfulness it includes awareness of the senses, emotions, thoughts and other people and is practiced with kindness, curiosity and non-judgement.
‘Mindfulness is deliberately paying attention to our moment-by moment experience, with an attitude of friendliness and curiosity.’
Mason-John and Groves, 2014
‘Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way;
On purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.’
‘‘Mindfulness is a state of awareness that enables us to make better choices about how we respond to our experiences even in difficult circumstances.’
The Purpose of the Body Scan Class
- A body scan meditation is ultimately an awareness practice in which we notice felt sensations in different parts of the body with a sense of curiosity and non-judgement.
- Although many people find the session to be relaxing, this is not the goal of the practice so please don’t be concerned if you don’t feel relaxed. If, however, you feel that you are likely to fall asleep during a meditation, please discuss this with the facilitator who can give some suggestions about posture.
- We may notice tension, pain or discomfort during the meditation. Mindfulness can help us to respond to those sensations more effectively. However, if you have any concerns please speak to a class facilitator.
- The class is an opportunity to practice one of the meditations that is taught by Mindful Therapies. If you would like to learn more, or practice one of the other meditations then you can find out about our classes and courses by visiting mindfultherapies.org.uk or speaking to the class facilitator.
What to expect
A forty minute guided meditation, seated or lying down, focussing attention and awareness on sensations in the body. Mats, cushions and blankets are available for those wishing to lie down.
- One of the Mindful Therapies team facilitates the Body Scan class.
- The facilitator has extensive experience of mindfulness and has received training from Mindful Therapies.
- The facilitator may offer advice about your mindfulness practice or posture. While any advice is just a suggestion, please remember that any advice given is intended to support you and your practice.
- It is important to maintain as quiet an environment as possible during meditation.
- If you need to leave the room, for instance to use the toilet, please can you avoid doing so during the meditation as this can be disturbing for participants.
- Please be aware of other people meditating and avoid excessive moving around, or snoring during meditation!
- The Body Scan class begins at 1:15pm. Please aim to arrive on time. You may not be allowed into the class if the meditation has already begun.
- Please switch your mobile phone off or onto silent during the class, including the tea break.
- If you need to take a call please leave the room so as not to disturb the group.
- If you have a complaint about the running of the group please speak to the class facilitator in the first instance.
- Alternatively you can make a complaint in writing by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org